Charles L. Black
Charles L. Black
Charles L. Black has almost forty years of experience in a wide variety of legal matters, although for the past twenty years his practice has primarily been energy-related. Mr. Black has represented gas, wind, and solar energy developers, equity owners, and lenders (as Texas counsel) in various aspects of project development and due diligence review, including land, lease and easement acquisition; title curative work, title policy and survey review; identifying and procuring crossing and encroachment agreements; land use and environmental permitting; tax abatement and value limitation agreement procurement and review; project entity formation; regulatory filings and compliance; providing Texas counsel enforceability and permitting legal opinions; and addressing post-construction operation and maintenance issues. Mr. Black has also assisted utilities in the acquisition and condemnation of transmission easement and rights-of-way.
In addition to his energy practice, Mr. Black represents various banks, businesses and health care providers regarding general commercial transactions, acquisitions, and real estate matters, as well as business planning, and represents individuals in estate planning and probate matters.
Mr. Black is Board Certified, Commercial Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
- Real Estate
- Business Associations
- Construction Law
- Commercial Transactions
- Health Law
- Estate and Probate
Recent Energy-Related Practice Experience as Texas Counsel:
- Represented the purchaser of a project company developing a 250 MW solar facility and now assisting the purchaser in the completion of project development, financing and ultimate construction of the project.
- Representing the developer in the acquisition of land rights for the development of two 750 MW transmission lines 520 miles long.
- Represented the developer in the development, construction and financing of a 200 MW wind project.
- Assisting the developer in the development (beginning with lease acquisition) of 150 MW wind project that will continue through construction financing and equity participation (4th phase).
- Represented the lender in the due diligence review, construction and aggregation/term financings for a portfolio of solar projects, including a Texas solar project.
- Assisted the initial developer in the development through the sale of the project and represented the project purchaser in the due diligence review and purchase of the assets of a 101 MW wind project, and currently representing the developer in the development of the project.
- Represented the developer in the development of a 200 MW wind project through financial closing and equity participation.
- Represented the developer in the development of the Project (from lease acquisition) through the sale of the project company, and the financing of, and equity participation in, the project by the purchaser (closing occurred simultaneously).
- Represented the lender in the due diligence review for the construction financing of a 41 MW solar facility within the limits of a large city.
- Assisted a prospective purchaser in the negotiation of the membership interest purchase agreement and the due diligence review of real estate and permitting for the proposed purchase of a 96.6 MW solar Facility.
- Assisted the developer in the development, financing, and equity participation of a 211.2 MW wind project.
- Assisted the lenders in regard to a 144A Bond offering for a 92 MW wind project, providing due diligence review.
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas
- J.D. – 1979
- The University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- B.A. with Honors – 1976
- Supreme Court of Texas, 1979
- District Court Northern District of Texas, 1980
- District Court Western District of Texas, 1990
- Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Abilene Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- American Wind Energy Association
- Member, Downtown Advisory Board
- Member, Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone Board
- Member, Team Dyess – Honorary Commander
- – 7th Bomb Wing Director of Staff Agencies
- Past Co-Chair, 2018 Campaign, United Way
- Past Chair, Abilene Chamber of Commerce
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, Goodwill West Texas
- Past President, Board of Directors, Frontier Texas!
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, Baptist Church Loan Corporation
- Past Chair, Board of Directors, Abilene Industrial Foundation
- Past Chair, Board of Deacons, First Baptist Church, Abilene